Update from Administrator – April 24, 2021
Dear Resident, Families and Friends,
Here we are, another week closer to warmer, spring-like weather. Great news for us all to get back outside and enjoy the fresh air and some sunshine. As we have mentioned before in these updates, our outside visits remain the recommended means of visitation for nursing home residents and families, per the CDC. Please take advantage of the weather and schedule a visitation with us over the next week. We all know how important visitations are to our loved ones.
- No significant changes to our center or our visitation plans, which are based on our state’s guidance from the CDC and CMS recommendations.
- We continue to explore ways to increase our visitation calendar, especially for outside visitations.
- A reminder, even outside visitations still require a mask, currently. The CDC and state continue to update their guidance for nursing homes – and we’ll keep you up to date on any changes. If you are unfamiliar with our protocols, please ask us.
- We always offer visitations using our technology (iPads, tablets, calls, etc.) and when we can, window visits and outside visits. If you do not have an appointment scheduled, please contact Recreation at 508-765-9133 X 1820 to schedule an appointment for an outdoor visit, window visit or virtual visit.
- Outdoor visitation is not affected by an internal outbreak on a unit, while we await the results of the initial round of testing.
- When an outbreak is detected among residents or staff, all visitations must be suspended except for compassionate care visits, until at least one round of facility-wide testing is completed.
- For questions related to visitation please call Robin at 508-765-9133 x 1828 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recreation / Activities:
- We are delighted to once again safely begin holding small, socially distanced group activities.
- Outdoor activities are always encouraged and preferred by the CDC and CMS, however indoor events are once again taking place following the outbreak guidance. As we have warmer days ahead, many outdoor activities are planned.
- These events will safely welcome back in our volunteers and vendors including entertainment, clergy, artists, and instructors.
- A reminder to everyone that we do have various tablet devices for your loved one to utilize to access games, various communication tools, games, news, and more. We have done some tutoring and training of the tablets so that residents are more comfortable with them. The feedback from residents on the availability of the tablets has been fantastic!
- The communal dining areas on the units are currently open. We are looking forward to re-opening the main dining room soon.
- A reminder on bringing food to the center for your loved one. Please keep in mind any dietary restrictions for your loved one and understand that per the CDC and states guidelines, you and your loved one may not eat during a visit, due to mask requirements. However, we will ensure that your loved one enjoys the meal, treat, etc. once the visit is complete.
- As we have said before, although not mandatory, we continue to encourage any employee who has not been vaccinated to obtain one. Currently, they may obtain one at a community clinic. We are also working with our state to do “catch-up” clinics to assist our team and new residents in obtaining the vaccine right here in our center.
- Regional hospitals are working on plans to offer the first dose of a COVID vaccine to their patients being discharged to nursing homes.
We are pleased to announce that Erin Bunker LPN is stepping into the role of Unit Manager for the 2nd floor as Kathy Kozielewicz has retired after many years of faithful service. Erin has been part of the nursing team at Southbridge for 6 years and is very excited with this new opportunity. In addition, please join me in welcoming Jane Ricci, the newest member of our Social Service Department. Jane has extensive experience working in substance abuse and behavioral health. Welcome aboard!
We hope you have a great week and look forward to seeing you!!